Thursday, June 8

Registration Please...

Okay, so I feel that it is kind of tacky to announce where and how I want you to buy things for our baby, but so many people keep asking me that I feel convenience overwhelms good manners in this particular instance. Ian and I have registered at Target for everything that we need for the baby. We chose not to even bother with Babies R Us because that place is so radically overpriced that it pisses me off. I don't want our kid getting used to expensive stuff. (Except for that stroller we registered for, which is really expensive, but I really like it!)

Much like when we registered for our wedding, I have already been asked "What do you need the most?" The answer to this question is easy. Formula and diapers. And more formula and more diapers. I know it's not a fun gift, but it is what we need the most. (We've also registered for lots of formula and diapers just to drive this point home.) Although I am a big ol' tree-hugging hippy most of the time, when it comes to birthin' babies, my environmental values go out the window. The thought of breast-feeding makes me want to hurl, and I think disposable diapers are one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century. If my liberal brethren want to reduce our impact on the landfills, I say hurray! But don't mess with the disposable diapers, dude. Find some other way. That said, formula and diapers. And if you really don't want to buy us those, then we have a whole long list of other crap we need, too.

One thing we don't need, though, is clothing. Between the pounds of clothes I've been accruing at yard sales and the wonderful stuff we are inheriting from Baby Claire, we have enough clothes to outfit the infants of a small nation. Seriously. Peruse this photo if you will...this is what I accrued in one day of yard sales in Reno. And I go every week. My point is this: if you buy my baby more clothes, you will only encourage me to never do her laundry...I will simply throw away the outfits as they get dirty. Okay, maybe that's a little more landfill damage than I'm comfortable with, but you catch my drift.

So, thanks in advance to all of those people who will eventually buy us stuff, and my apologies to those who find this blog entry remarkably tactless. If I offended you, please disregard this entire entry and just send us cash! ;)

2 comments:

ErinBW said...

I checkout out your carseat and you may seriously want to rethink that one. I've heard it is extremely difficult to adjust, especially when in the rear-facing position. It also didn't seem very comfy to me; a detail whose importance cannot be overestimated. (I don't like sitting on a hard seat. Twitch won't either and she'll let you know all about it!) Hey, you're not paying for this stuff, you might as well register for one that is s bit better. (Just my $0.02.)

ErinBW said...

Oh, sorry for the typos in above comment.