Tuesday, September 4

Summer's Almost Gone

Summer comes slowly to Reno, but leaves quickly. Sometime after Labor Day, it packs its bags and takes off for the Southern Hemisphere. No long, drawn-out goodbyes, no tears--one day it is unbearably hot, and the next day the heat breaks like a fever and it is Fall.

In Reno we say goodbye to Summer by eating copious amounts of pig flesh.


You may remember that this time last year I was 9 months pregnant and packing away two racks of ribs in the all-you-can-eat VIP Rib Village. This year, alas, we couldn't afford to be VIPs and had to stand in line at the rib booths with the rest of the commoners. Above you see me gnawing on an ear of fresh roasted corn because I find fresh roasted corn with butter and seasoned salt to be one of life's greatest pleasures. Ian mocks me for this, saying that corn is "filler" and that I am wasting good rib space. I still ate more ribs than he did--SUCKA!


Matilda doesn't yet have enough teeth to enjoy corn-on-the-cob, but she does love her some ribs, and she got to enjoy the Rib Cook Off being wheeled from booth to booth gumming various bones from the different competitors--ah to be a baby!

***


I went to Starbucks on Saturday morning and scared the barrista with my burst of enthusiasm at seeing that the Pumpkin Spice Latte was back on the menu. You think they'd be used to crazy women shouting "Omigod! PUMPKIN!" But apparently I'm the only one. (You should see me on the day they bring back Gingerbread Latte!) Then I paused, let it sink in, and then started chiding the poor barrista: "Wait a minute...it isn't fall yet! It's only Labor Day!" She looked at me, confused, and kind of shrugged. I declined the Pumpkin Spice Latte, informing her that things just taste better when you wait for the appropriate time. Like how I won't drink eggnog before Thanksgiving no matter how much I love it. I love Pumpkin Spice Lattes, but not until Fall, and Starbucks should wait at least until the Equinox.

Then I opened the door this morning and what should I feel but that cool, brisk gust of air that signals the arrival of Fall. I felt sad and started missing summer immediately. This afternoon I noticed that the tree in our yard was already sporting a few red leaves. Goodbye, Summer! Time for me to go get my Pumpkin Spice Latte.



The last picture of Summer

6 comments:

brooke said...

I live for the gingerbread latte!!! :) We are still holding on to summer here. waaa!

Doug said...

I'm commenting a week later, and even now there's over a week of summer remaining...

Oh. You weren't looking to hear about astronomical accuracy, were you?

(It's not like the Hallmark stores haven't had Xmas ornaments up for over a month now...)

Doug said...

Nice Doors quote for your title, by the way.

Doug said...

Karri notes also liking the gingerbread latte. For the record.

I still do not drink coffee. Thus ends my report.

Anonymous said...

Found your blog via NaBloPoMo. Glad I did.

Unknown said...

I just experienced the joy that is the Pumpkin Spice Latte. I usually don't like pumpkin, but this was heaven.

I feel about candy corn, the way you feel about eggnog and the gingerbread latte. Nothing before it's time.

The kicker is that I was just at Target and tell me if I could find just one bag of Brach's candy corn? I wasn't going to be greedy.

Nothing. Nada. Zero. Zip.

I WILL find some today.